The International Council of Christian Churches (ICCC), meeting in its 20th World Congress, January 22-29, 2020, in Puerto Montt, Chile, strongly affirms the teaching of Scripture concerning marriage:
1. God — Creator, sustainer and sovereign of the universe — ordered that a man be united in marriage with a woman, in an exclusive and lifelong union (Genesis 2: 23-24);
2. That marriage according to what is established by God is a great good for human society; and
3. That said marriage also excludes the union of persons of the same sex or the coexistence of a couple
not legitimately united (Romans 1:21-32; I Corinthians 6:18-19). This was reaffirmed by the Lord Jesus Christ, who said: “Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one esh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one esh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put assunder” (Matthew 19:4-6).
The ICCC therefore calls on all Bible-believing Christians and churches to:
1. Reaffirm the ICCC’s adherence to marriage in the manner that God has established, without any allow- ance for other forms;
2. Exhort all faithful Christians to keep their marriages within the principles and norms that God has estab- lished; and
3. Oppose, with all the means that God’s providence provides, the laws that are being promoted by human- ists and atheists throughout the world which undermine Biblical marriage and, therefore, are against the welfare of human society.
RESOLUTIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN PDF FORMAT UNDER RESOLUTIONS TAB ON THIS SITE